Make 2018 the Year of Explosive Voter Turnout
Many organizations grapple with voter apathy. While it can be problematic, for an organization whose bylaws require a quorum, it can be detrimental to the opperation of the assocaition. Here is a list of suggestions to increase voter turnout:
- Online Election: We have seen an increase in turnout for most associations when switching to online elections, but it depends a great deal on where you start as well as what’s on the ballot. Some of our customers have seen a doubling or tripling, and this has allowed some to get over 50% in proxies for a quorum of 50% of the unit owners (HOA EXAMPLE), but others which started low (e.g., less than 5%) saw more engagement but it was not a panacea (e.g., they grew to to 10-15%).
- Communication Strategy: Associations that have had the best results have used a multi-channel approach to getting the word out, including election information in all the communications (Call to action vote on line it is easier to participate online). Groups that have had a good experience have done an “all of the above” strategy on including in existing communications (E.g., newsletters), posting at common areas, push notifications via app, emailing before the election, emailing at the start of the election, and emailing during the election.
- Incentives: We have a group that had a change in management, but continued with the following program their first Voting Manager set up to move turnout from apathy to a quorum: They reward voting participation by providing a 10% discount on their association fee in the month after the close of the election.
- Multi-Year Proxies: One of the newest things we’ve heard of is multi-year proxies. We haven’t seen this in practice much as of yet, but the idea is, get the proxy, keep it on file for five years, and the board is authorized to vote a quorum/present for that person, so that you’re able to get to the quorum without them taking a position on any particular issue. For this one, you’d have to ask your association counsel, because this is a new thing that is not allowed everywhere, and we have the impression it’s a minority of places where it’s allowed.
- Single Sign On (SSO): Make it easy for your members to vote directly from your AMS or mobile app with SSO. AV integrates with the R@H app platform and iMIS to eliminate extra steps for your voters!
Posted in Non-Profit, Online Voting, Product Launch,